Manny Straehle on the ICA Data Visualization Competition
Hello! I am Manny Straehle and I work with International Credentialing Associates (ICA). ICA is a measurement consulting firm with expertise in developing certificates, certification, and licensing programs. We are committed to producing reports and visualizations that are simple and easy to understand for the clients we serve, but we need your help.
Hot Tip – Enter our Data Visualization Competition: With the sponsorship of AEA’s Data Visualization and Reporting TIG, we are launching a data visualization competition. The winner will receive $500.
ICA often generates data reports for our clients – and revising the look and ease of this data report is the basis for this data visualization competition.
Don’t worry if you aren’t familiar with certification and licensing programs, or if some of the terms below are new to you. The contest involves improved organization and display – no data analysis required. The submissions will be reviewed by our panel of judges, including me, Rory McCorkle, DVR TIG founder Stephanie Evergreen, DVR TIG Co-chair Johanna Morariu, and other experts.
Task: To create a data visualization-centered report, using a provided dummy set of data.
Hot Tip – Include These Required Report Components:
- ICA’s name, logo, and color schema (available on the top or bottom of this page)
- Space for customer name
- The following data points, from the provided Excel spreadsheet:
- Key (correct answer)
- P+ (item difficulty)
- Percent of candidates answer the question correctly
- Distractor Analysis (number and percentage) across three performance levels
- Rbis (item discrimination)
- Correlation between performance on an item and total performance
- Recommendation actions
Hot Tip – Attend to the Evaluation Criteria:
- Uses basic spreadsheet software (Excel, Open Office, etc.) for data visualizations
- Report fits on one page
- Required report components are present
- Text is legible
- Data visualizations are easily interpreted
- Transfer of graphs from spreadsheet to report is easy
- Report uses best practices in data visualization design
- Layout and use of space
- Use of color and contrast
- Inclusion of appropriate text
- Use of data visualizations appropriate to data
- Contribution of design to overall comprehension of information
Hot Tip – Follow Our Submission Instructions:
- Download the Excel spreadsheet with a data set you can use (please note the data is dummy data and is not exact).
- Submit your revision, both report in PDF format and spreadsheet file, to email@example.com by 15 April 2013.
- The winner will be announced on 15 May 2013 and contacted by email.
- All entries become the property of ICA upon submission. By submitting an entry, all Entrants agree to the Official Rules of Entry.
- Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org